In the curriculum we will aim equip all learners with the experiences and skills of computing that they will use in a rapidly changing technological world. Learners in our environment will be confident and independent in their use of all computing and technology equipment to solve problems across the curriculum.
Thorpepark will provide a high quality, rich and practical computing curriculum, developed by our computing coordinator and SLT members. This will ensure continuity and progression in the acquisition of subject knowledge and skills throughout the school.
All children are entitled to the opportunity to develop their computing capability through activities that arise in all curriculum areas, although some key computing skills will be taught discretely.
We aim for our children to-
- Become competent in coding for a variety of purposes.
- Connect with others safely and respectfully.
- Develop an understanding of the connected nature of devices.
- Communicate ideas by using applications and devices.
- Collect, organise and manipulate data effectively.
To provide our children with an enriching and engaging curriculum we teach computing through:
- A carefully designed whole school curriculum which builds on and adds to the children’s understanding and use of the key Microsoft programs- Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Sequential progression within each year group for the teaching of coding and programming using Purple Mash different devices used as an output.
- Sticky knowledge skills surround the key computing topics that run through all year groups, these include;
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Power Point
- Microsoft Word
- Using technology purposefully
- Using the internet safely
- The use of Microsoft Teams
- Subject specific vocabulary is embedded within the teaching of computing.
- Final assessments within each unit is used to ensure good progress can be made throughout each topic, this also builds on the prior knowledge from each year group.